3-4 Large Green Beefsteak tomatoes, perfect for a Southern Classic, "fried green tomatoes!" Or if you'd like to try something different, homemade green tomato relish! It makes a great relish for hot dogs.
Extra Crunchy Fried Green Maters:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 of our green tomatoes, cut slices as desired
- Corn Oil for deep-fat frying
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In three separate shallow bowls, place the flour, eggs and bread crumbs. Dip tomatoes in flour, then in eggs; then coat with bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry tomatoes, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately. And if you kike, dip in ranch dressing, yummy!
3 piece: 227 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.